A couple weeks ago, Steven Symes passed on the Versatile Blogger award to me. If you don't know Steven, who writes non-fiction and also paranormal fiction (despite being a skeptic), please check out his blog HERE.
Now, as part of this blog award, I'm supposed to share 7 little-known facts about myself. This had me scratching my head. I'm such a big blabber, is there anything I haven't already told you?
I asked my family: "Hey, guys. I'm supposed to share 7 unknown things about myself on my blog. Any suggestions?"
Bob: "I think you've pretty much told everybody everything. I can't think of what you could have left."
Gina: "Maybe you should make stuff up. Tell them you're a wrestler in your spare time."
Gabbey: *ticky, ticky, ticky ticky on her keyboard* (She is working on her epic fantasy novel and ignoring us.)
Okay, so let me give this a go ...
1. Oooh, how about this? My teenage daughter is writing an epic fantasy novel. This summer, I really, really want her to spend some time reading the blogs of authors on craft and story-telling. Gabbey is a talented writer -- probably more talented than I was at her age. And she has aspirations of being an agent or editor. I think blogs are an excellent way for her to learn and make a few connections.
2. I write a lot about my dog, Sorcia, so most people probably don't know I've always been a cat person. I've had cats all my life, and I can name them all. (Frisky, Mystery, Topaz, Regan, Pyewacket, Strider, Smokey, Gimpy, Claudia ... finally Maui, the smartest and most personable cat I've ever had. Maui broke our hearts when he was killed on the road outside our house a few years ago.)
3. As an addition to #2 above, I was always scared of dogs. Barking made me flinch. Growling made me burst into tears. It was grief over losing Maui that made us suddenly decided to get a dog, and afterwards I wondered if we'd lost our minds! The first time I was left alone with Sorcia, I had a moment of panic. She looks like a wolf. She could eat me, I thought. I got over my fear pretty fast, though.
4. I also blog about skiing, so you might not know that I am a terrible athlete. I can't swim with my face in the water because I never mastered rotary breathing. I only recently re-learned how to ride a bike -- and had to unlearn the art of peddling backwards to brake, because that's the only kind of bike I ever had as a child. I can't throw a ball (or catch one either). Let's not even talk about swinging a bat, a racket, or a club.
5. I met my husband at a murder mystery dinner party. I received a last minute invite because one of the girl attendees dropped out. Lucky for me.
6. The first album I ever bought was Blue Oyster Cult: Fire of Unknown Origin. I can still sing along to all the songs.
7. Um ... I'm a wrestler in my spare time. No. I can do better than that. How about this? I was so frightened as a child by the urban legend of Bloody Mary -- you know, the chick who will scratch your eyes out if you say her name three times in front of a mirror in the dark -- that even to this day I avoid looking into a mirror if I get up in the middle of the night. So, when Georgia McBride asked me to write a short story for her 2013 Month9Books anthology of legend retellings ... guess what I picked?
At this point, I'm supposed to choose 7 bloggers to pass this on to. But I was always leery of chain letters (guess I could have used that as one of my seven things). So instead, I'll just invite you to share a little known fact about yourself in the comments!