Monday, April 25, 2011
Highlights of Spring Break
I’m scheduling this post in advance, but I don’t need psychic powers to know that going back to work is a real let-down today after my family’s vacation in California. I could use another week’s worth of vacation to get over the first week!
I’ll be blogging about some of my experiences in more detail later, but here are the highlights:
1) Meeting producer Amy Green for dinner somewhere between Hollywood and Beverly Hills. We discussed the current status of my screenplay (under review by filmmakers) and Amy shared stories of life as a Hollywood producer. Plus, Amy gave my daughter Gabbey an assignment that only a YA reader could do.
2) Madame Tussaud’s Hollywood Wax Museum. My girls enjoyed this way more than I expected! Plus, I got to give Steven Spielberg my card.
3) A VIP Behind-the-Scenes tour of Universal Studios. While most of the tourists drove past the sets on giant tram cars, we walked through them! We explored the prop warehouse, and even got to visit the sound stage where the TV show Parenthood is currently being filmed.
4) Catalina Island – Just all of it! Here’s the view we had when we drove our golf cart to one of the island’s two gas stations.
5) A zipline adventure on Catalina Island. Check out this 40 second video of a young man throwing my daughter Gina off a platform 300+ feet above the ground. Not only did I stand there and let him do it – I paid him to do it!