Monday, September 6, 2010
Quiz Answers and Contest Winners
Thanks to everyone who participated in my 100 Blog Followers Contest – and extra thanks to people who Tweeted or Blogged about the contest! I’ve got quiz answers to share with you, and contest winners to announce!
1. Who is the main character of We Hear the Dead?
Maggie Fox is the main character, although her sister Kate is also of great importance. Maggie and Kate together pulled off the prank that led to one of the biggest hoaxes in the 19th century.
2. What grade do I teach?
Fifth grade is what I teach currently. I have also taught fourth grade some years, as well as a combined fourth and fifth multiage class.
3. Which one of my daughters regularly appears here with MG book reviews?
That would be Gina. Just so you know, this question caused some unhappiness at home. Gabrielle: How come I’m not in the quiz? Me: Well, you’re the wrong answer to #3. Gabrielle: Big deal -- I’m the wrong answer to all the questions!
4. How do I feel about No Child Left Behind?
Grrr … let’s not get started on that! I hate this piece of legislation that pretends to support education, while providing no real help to students or schools at all. The only people benefiting from this law are the standardized test-making companies.
5. What’s so special about 2 graves in Catawissa, Pa that I’m writing a book about them?
They are both enclosed in iron cages!
There are 8 prizes up for grabs!
1. A manuscript critique from yours truly
2. Beautiful Dead: Arizona by Eden Maguire
3. The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball by Risa Green
4. Struts and Frets by Jon Skovron (signed)
5. The Secret Year by Jennifer Hubbard (signed)
6. 13 to Life by Shannon Delany (signed)
7. Shade by Jeri Ready-Smith (signed)
8. Ballads of Suburbia by Stephanie Kuehnert (signed)
Prizes will be given out on a first-come-first-served basis – with the exception that any international winners will get a manuscript critique by default. I will send emails out to all the winners this morning, but if you see this post first, you can go ahead and email me at email@example.com with your prize preference. It might be a good idea to list a 2nd choice!
And the winners are: